At your place of work or business you can help to keep our drinking water sources clean.
Here are some ways you can help:
- Keep floor drains and contaminants separated.
- Store chemicals well.
- Find alternatives to harmful chemicals.
- Reduce what is on site. Reduce how much is stored and store only essential products.
- Maintain a spills prevention plan.
- Train staff about ways they can help to prevent spills and protect local drinking water.
- Keep absorbent kits that can be used to protect and contain any spill that does occur.
- Add secondary containment.
- Ensure storage containers include self-containment if there is a spill and that there is capacity to store the spill as well as having the equipment on site to handle a spill if a spill does occur.
- Include oil, water entrapment systems onto drains.
Download this fact sheet about protecting water at your industrial or commercial business enterprise: Industry Best Management Practices Fact Sheet